Thursday, March 3, 2011

In honor of Dr. Seuss

How many of can say that we can take 30-50 simplistic words and write a lasting classic such as Cat in the Hat?

In all of his writings, Dr. Seuss showcases his genius and eloquence, without fluff or pomp, and teaches life lessons in the process. Kids all over the country yesterday celebrated the birth of Theodore Giesl, aka Dr. Seuss, as part of the Read Across America week.

I've always loved the books of Dr. Seuss. I remember getting a copy of "Horton Hears a Who" for free when my mom bought a certain brand of toothpaste which was well loved and read many times. I loved his phrase "A person's a person, no matter how small." Wise words.

Dr. Seuss encouraged individuality and uniqueness, which are often difficult to achieve in our cookie cutter world. He advocated friendship, tolerance and compromise. Many life lessons are contained in those rhyming phrases for which he is so well known.

Another of my favorite quotes is as follows......

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

How often do we hide behind things, afraid to show our real selves....our likes, dislikes, and personality? I know I do. I'm glad for this reminder!

A big thank you to Dr. Seuss for your many pearls of wisdom hidden within the intricate simplicity of your wonderful books!

2 comments:

  1. I agree! Bravo to the doctor! He worked magic with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love reading Dr. Seuss. :-)

    ReplyDelete